Blossoming Shutterbug

My photo
Im a SAHM to 2 beautiful girls! they are my LIFE! love being artsy and just recently got into photography =) This is a place to share my creative talent.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Self Portrait Photography Exercise

As most of you know Ive been following MeRa's Blog for some time now and submitted a video for the SOAR scholarship contest. As you can see i didn't win and was very upset about it. This shocked me how upset i got! I didn't expect to win, i knew i wouldn't get it since im way to new at this and couldn't understand why i was so down about it. It was brought to my attention that i probably wanted it more then i knew! They are right! i dont think i realized how much I am falling in love with photography. Even though I did not win i have made some great friends and now have a place to share my photography. with fellow photographers =D
Well MeRa has put together a SOAR Blog. Not only is it for us to watch the recipients grow but we (soar sisters) get to grow with them =D This is really exciting for me and think its such a great thing that MeRa has put together.

Our first exercise is a Self Portrait. To document where you are in your journey of life. MeRa writes how this maybe difficult and uncomfortable But it wasn't for me. I knew exactly what i wanted to do. I didn't feel uncomfortable and really couldn't wait to share my photo on my blog.

This is i am in my Journey. Tell me what you see.
Ill explain as best i can how i took this. (not very good with the photo lingo..lol)
I took the picture and knowing it was going to take a while for the picture to finish snapping, I waited a little bit then sat in the chair! this gave the "see through" look. I did this once before, messing around, and knew this is what i wanted to do for this exercise
Lens:50mm
ISO: 100
Fstop: F22


After reading the recipients blog ..showing their self portrait and explaining how hard this was for them to share, I realized why this isnt hard for me! YOU are not in front of me looking at my photo. I cant see your expressions or have to "hear" what you see as your looking at my photo. I basically hit "post" and walk away and i have no idea who will read it.
These women had to sit in a room together and show their work in silence. one by one. explain what they see in the photo. If i was in their shoes I know i would have been petrified to do that.
Sooo im going to challenge myself. going to put myself in a situation that im NOT comfortable with, similar to these women! Im going to put the above picture as my profile on Facebook linking my blog to it. My stomach has butterflies as i type this!! should i make it harder!?!? maybe put my status to comment on my photo?!!? hmmm.. yup stomach just dropped. Well if you are a friend on facebook and dont see my status change.. then you'll know i chickened out on that challenge..LOL

Here is the other part of the exercise, an object that symbolizes you! This was really hard, i had no idea what object to use! What in the world would symbolize ME! How can i show myself with just one object. I finally settled on this one. not sure if i did it right! Wait, Is there a right or wrong. In any case..
Tell me, What do you see.........?

I cant wait to find out whats next..........

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting this challenge done. You did a fantastic job, I love it! For your object photo, I see a fairy girl that is starting to fly or should I say SOARing, so appropriate!

    ReplyDelete

Followers