Blossoming Shutterbug

My photo
Im a SAHM to 2 beautiful girls! they are my LIFE! love being artsy and just recently got into photography =) This is a place to share my creative talent.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Alex has Autism but Autism doesn't have him!

I first met MaryTara (MT) , Alex's mom,  2 years ago, through the moms group im part of. Our daughters were close in age and got along great!!! and so our friendship grew!  When she told me her son has autism i really didn't know what that meant. All i knew about it was that they had issues socializing.

Taken 8.2008 w/point & shoot


When i first met he looked like every other kid with these beautiful BLUE eyes!  Its funny how you assume that when i child has a condition you automatically think they "look" different. At least that is what i realized about myself and its all changed now!!!




  I was pregnant with Nadia at the time and MT had told Alex that there was a baby in my belly. He got close to me and used his elbow to touch my belly. I thought it was a bit strange but the look on MT's face was surprising. She was very excited to see him do that, he doesn't usually touch people and especially someone he doesn't know.  There was another time i had met up with MT, we were sitting at a table chit chatting and the girls were off playing. Alex was just sitting with us playing with something (i cant remember) There was some commotion &  MT went to take care of the situation. Now here i am left alone with Alex, and to be honest i was uncomfortable! Not sure how he is going to react with just sitting with me. I mean this is the 2nd time meeting him.  Well with out saying a word, i grabbed a paper and crayons on the table and began to color. Then slowly brought it over to Alex, then he began to color with me.  After a little bit he took the paper away and took the crayon our of my hand, and i understood that i was no longer allowed to color. LOL.  This was another surprising moment for MT. I found out that he does not let people color with him.  You know im feeling special... right!??!! ; )     Now this boy has got my heart!!!   
 

 In the 2 years knowing Alex and his family i have met many others dealing with the same situation but different struggles & triumphs. I may not know ALL the details but now have more understanding.  

I ask MT to give more information on it and this is what she had to say : 

April is Autism Awareness Month


Autism affects 1 in 110 children. In NJ the rate is 1 in 96 or 1 in 64 boys. The organization in NJ that does training and helps families is POAC www.poac.net
Autism is a Spectrum Disorder. Its characteristics, traits, and symptoms can range from mild to severe - and it is like a rainbow. It is said that "if you have met one child with autism, you've met one child with autism". Kids with autism are not all alike. Some of the most common traits are impaired communication/speech, stimming (flapping, rocking) or other repetitive movements, poor eye contact, sensory issues, tantrums or meltdowns.


Autism largely affects the ability to communicate. Some people with autism cannot speak (but that doesn't mean they have nothing to say!) others have limited verbal skills or speak with echolalia (repeating), some talk non-stop! For example, Alex is verbal but he uses a lot of jargon and repeated phrases. He will talk a lot about his favorite video game, but he has a hard time having a conversation. He also gets pronouns incorrect and will say "You" for "I" etc. He also has a lot of sensory issues (doesn't like loud noises, loudspeakers, struggles in big groups, etc), has a hard time playing with others, etc. But, as you know - he is very smart and also he likes pretty girls And bugs :) :)

4.2010 w/ Canon Rebel xs

 In a lot of ways he is a typical 9 year old boy but others not so much.
MaryTara

Thank you so much for sharing that and so happy to have met you and your family.

She hosts a "Blow Bubble for Autism" every year.  I attended this year and of course brought my camera =D
 Here is a peak!!!
 Each bubble represents HOPE!


Alex checking out the bugs





 


Gia blowing bubbles.. well trying...

Gia & Belle


Look! i captured his blue eyes!!! 

<3  CB

6 comments:

  1. i love love love the picture of gia and the bubbles. you know i'm no photog pro but to my eyes it is an amazing picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry!! But a good cry!!!

    We miss you so much and it has been great that the girls have seen each other a few times recently!!!!

    Still loving that picture of Alex and the eye contact. His school pictures were horrible, no surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was totally and completely AWESOME!!! Those photos rock and make me wish I wasn't so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me goosebumps! :) Love your photos!
    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone!!! I was going to add more but when MT posted my blog (i didn't expect that...lol) on her FB i guess i dont need to =)

    Soo happy you liked it =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina, these pics are so beautiful! amazing! love reading your blog!
    Halka

    ReplyDelete

Followers